Allowable Items in System Delivery
In late 2007, The Illinois State Library requested a Legal Opinion concerning what could be shipped via ILDS and/or System delivery services. Based on the Legal Opinion on the Delivery of Library Material, the State Library indicates that only material directly related to completing an interlibrary loan request may be shipped via the Regional Library System and ILDS courier services. This includes books and other items that will become part of the library’s collection. Examples of appropriate items include the cataloging buddy boxes, book freebies for the library’s collection, and “reciprocal borrow” items. In February 2008, the Illinois State Library issued a clarification concerning the delivery of state published resources.
On January 2, 2008, Lewis & Clark Library System adjusted delivery to comply with the Legal Opinion on the Delivery of Library Material.
After January 2, 2008, the following items may not be shipped via LCLS and ILDS courier service
- Bundles of book bands
- Barcodes (GateNet or other)
- Office supplies such as toner/printer cartridges
- IRS Tax Forms
- Book Sale Items
While the following items may not be shipped, alternative delivery methods include e-mailing, faxing, or U.S. Mail. The Federal rules also impact delivering correspondence and the following items are considered correspondence.
- Overdue notices to patrons or other libraries
- Bills/Invoices to patrons or other libraries
- Interlibrary loan request forms–ALA or other formats
- Library flyers, program announcements, bookmarks, or other publicity items
- Generally any paper such as ballots, contracts, and other documents, with the exception of a photocopied article completing an ILL request
Freebie books may continue traveling via the System’s courier service, if the freebie book is added to the receiving library’s collection. If it is going into a book sale, do not ship it via System delivery.
Additional Delivery Tips
- Please do not use the System’s courier tubs or bags for non-delivery purposes. The delivery containers are to be used only for the transportation of interlibrary loan material between member libraries, not for any other uses.
- Fragile or delicate material should be specially packed in padded bags or boxes preserve the material.
- When sending material via ILDS, please accurately and neatly complete the ILDS Label. Information about shipping via ILDS is posted under Interlibrary Loan.
The Send To: box must contain the library’s name
The ILDS Route must also be circled or highlighted
Need an ILDS Label master for copying? The new ILDS label is posted here
When labeling LINCOLN Materials for Delivery to Rolling Prairie Library System (ILDS code RPL) the correct labeling of materials when shipping items on ILDS is critical for accurate delivery. Please use the library’s full name and city to insure accurate and fast delivery. Here is the list:
In Springfield, Illinois:
- Lincoln Library, Springfield’s Public Library
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
- Lincoln Land Community College
In Lincoln, Illinois:
- Lincoln Public Library District
- Lincoln College
- Lincoln Christian College
- Lincoln High School
- Lincoln Jr. High
The following links also provide some assistance with best practices: