Moving Forward – an update from LCLS
November 12, 2010
Southern IL library system merger conversations:
The merger project is proceeding on schedule. All four committees (legal, governance & membership; strategic planning; resource sharing and delivery) are tackling issues small and large in their quest to meet the timelines for proposal submission set by the Illinois State Library. The next meeting is:
- Tuesday, December 2nd at Lincoln Trail Libraries System.
Each day has several components, and interested parties are welcome to attend some or all:
- Committee meetings run take place during the mornings
- Building tours and lunch occur at midday
- The entire panel meets during the afternoons
Be sure to check the Cooperation Today web site for updated information including agendas, process documents and to comment on any aspect of the process. We encourage member participation at meetings and welcome your comments on Cooperation Today.
New PEW report presents realities of funding in Illinois:
The recent release of Facing Facts: Public Attitudes and Fiscal Realities in Five Stressed States, a joint report from the PEW Center on the States and the Public Policy Institute of California, focuses on residents’ perspectives on state budget problems and potential solutions. Illinois respondents, included with residents from Arizona, California, Florida, and New York, are more likely to say their elected leaders are wasting their money and could deliver services more efficiently than to complain that state government is too large. Other key findings from the report:
- A preference to “tax the other guy” (i.e. wealthy individuals, corporations, smokers, drinkers and gamblers).
- A willingness to increase their own taxes to pay for essential services such as K-12 education, and health and human services.
- Respondents demand a better return on tax contributions, and they want fiscal government reforms now.
I encourage you to read the report, as it has implications for us all.
Merger Update Gatherings:
The success of the system merger depends on member participation. Follow the links to register in LibraryLearning (L2) and join your colleagues at one of the following member forums:
- Tuesday, November 30th at Greenville Public Library, 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 1st at Principia College (Marshall Brooks Library), 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
FY 2011 Live and Learn Public Library Construction Grant Program
Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White and the Illinois State Library are pleased to announce that FY 2011 Live and Learn Public Library Construction Grant Program applications and related information are now available from the State Library’s website.
Any libraries interested in applying for a Live & Learn Public Library Construction Grant should review the Program Overview as their first step in the grant process. The Program Overview will provide important information on the three grant categories; the eligibility rules; the required documentation needed; and a list of pertinent definitions of integral components of the program.
The Statement of Interest for those libraries seeking to apply for the grant is due by December 3, 2010, and should be submitted via email to Susan Goodman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s New @ WJIL: Workforce Development Videos Collection
Over the first year with Project Compass, WebJunction heard about the many successful ways in which public library staff around the country have responded to the needs of the unemployed. They also heard that library staff could use more training and knowledge to augment their ability to help the struggling workforce. And of course, they heard about budget cuts and how little time there is for learning. As a result a collection of 5 short videos were developed in cooperation with library trainer and consultant Pat Wagner with topics covering everything from getting to know job-hunters to popular scams, how to use your time wisely in helping job-hunters and how social media tools can assist your job-hunting patrons. Find out how to connect up with this video collection in the latest “What’s New @ WJIL.”
Tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/286mxzl
Upcoming continuing education opportunities at LCLS:
- Wednesday, November 17, 2010 (9:00 AM – 11:00 AM), GateNet Circle Group Meeting. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here .
- Thursday, November 18, 2010 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Create Lists in Millennium–Basic. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
- Friday, November 19, 2010 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), Cataloging Monographs. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
Enjoy your weekend!
Leslie M. Bednar
Acting Executive Director