Moving Forward – an update from LCLS
March 19, 2011
Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) planning:
Resource sharing, the FY12 annual plan and budget components are among the topics to be addressed at the next Planning Panel meeting. Join your colleagues from the four southern Systems at the meeting scheduled for Wednesday, March 23, from 10 AM – 4 PM, at the Effingham Hilton Garden Inn.
We strongly encourage your participation at these meetings as decisions are being made that impact our ability to help our members serve their patrons. The planning panel genuinely appreciates the feedback from audience members, and considers the input provided at meetings. If you would like to carpool to the meeting, please contact Julia Pernicka (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Leslie Bednar (email@example.com).
Early Literacy Training:
Join your colleagues for the ILA Youth Services Forum Workshop held at LCLS May 11, 2011, from 9:00 AM to Noon. Dr. Stephanie McAndrews, Literacy Program Director at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, will present the topic, “Strategies for Engaging Children in Authentic Language and Literacy Experiences.” Attendees will learn how and why to use specific strategies, including interactive read alouds, to develop children’s language and literacy. Anne Wolfe, Youth Librarian for Edwardsville Public Library and Every Child Ready to Read certified instructor, will present on the Every Child Ready to Read program. Attendees will learn both the theory behind the initiative and will participate in hands-on activities designed to assist in practical application.
Advocacy Training for School Librarians:
School librarians are encouraged to participate in an advocacy webinar Tuesday, April 5th, from 4:00 – 5:00 PM. With the financial crisis in our state and country, the need is greater than ever to speak up about library media programs and student achievement. The webinar, presented by Lou Ann Jacobs, will center on state and federal issues and opportunities, as well as influencing local administrators. Tips and suggestions will be provided to develop advocacy programs. Register at the ISLMA (Illinois School Library Media Association) web site.
SIUE Spring Symposium
SIUE faculty will discuss the continued role of library collections in the relationship between instructors and librarians. Using Library Resources in Teaching: Evolving Teacher-Librarian Collaborations is the topic of Lovejoy Library’s popular spring symposium series, and will be presented April 1, from 9:00 AM – Noon. Details available here.
Upcoming continuing education opportunities at LCLS:
- Monday, March 21, 2011 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), Searching the Authority File and Controlling Headings in OCLC Connexion. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
- Tuesday, March 22, 2011 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Millennium Serials Module. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
- Friday, March 25, 2011 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), MARC Coding and Matching (AKA Can I Use this Record?). Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
- Tuesday, March 29, 2011 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Create Lists in Millennium-Basic. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
- Wednesday, March 30, 2011 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Barcoding in Millennium. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
Leslie M. Bednar