July 24, 2014
Connect with Leslie: July 29, 2014, at 10:00 a.m.
Give us a half hour, and we’ll fill you in on what is happening at IHLS. The next Connect with Leslie meeting is Tuesday, July 29, 2014, at 10:00 a.m. Visit the Connect with Leslie page on the IHLS website to access the link for the meeting. Register in L2 at: http://www.librarylearning.
Please let your voice be heard!
The Illinois State Library is seeking your input on the proposed changes to the administrative rules and standards for Illinois library systems.
The proposed rules changes include:
- Clarification of library system membership requirements, including the phase-out of developmental libraries in five years.
- Revised library system standards, focusing on core system services.
- A requirement that public libraries participate in statewide reciprocal borrowing as a condition of system membership.
- The proposed revisions to the ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code, which were completed by a statewide committee earlier this year.
The proposed changes and comment area are available on the Illinois Library System Administrative Rules and Standards blog, http://
IHLS Member Day – October 20, 2014
Please join us for IHLS Member Day on Monday, October 20, 2014, at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Effingham, Illinois. Stay tuned for additional details!
Public Library Per Capita and EDGE Assessment Training - August 21
On August 21, 2014, at 10:00 a.m., the Illinois State Library will present a workshop on the Public Library Per Capita Grant application and the EDGE Assessment. The workshop will be held in person at the IHLS Edwardsville office and via videoconference at the IHLS offices in Champaign and Du Quoin, as well as the Illinois State Library and the Decatur Public Library.
FY2015 Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Aid Grant requirements state that Illinois public libraries must have at least one staff member attend an instructional course. The technology component requires at least one library staff member and one board member to attend an informational webinar or in-person session about the Edge Initiative. Public libraries applying for the FY2015 Per Capita Grant can satisfy both requirements by participating in this training session.
Please register in L2 to attend in person at the IHLS Edwardsville location or at one of the VTEL locations: http://www.librarylearning.
If you cannot attend on August 21, training sessions have also been scheduled for:
Friday, August 15, 10 a.m. – 12pm at the Illinois State Library
Tuesday, August 19, 10:30 a.m. – RAILS East Peoria Office
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Free Webinars
Introduction to the Library of Congress Website and Teaching with Primary Sources Especially for Librarians & Media Specialist (SIUE) - August 4-5, 2014
Top Ten Skills for Teaching Tech to Patrons (WJ) - August 14, 2014
Going Digital (LYRASIS) - August 19, 2014
Recruiting and Training Volunteers for Library Advocacy (WJ) - August 20, 2014
Taming Tech Tools for Libraries (WJ) - September 18, 2014
More webinars can be found at:
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
Best Small Library in America Award - Deadline: September 10, 2014
I Love My Librarian Award - Deadline: September 12, 2014
Margaret Edwards Teen Collection Development - Deadline: December 1, 2014
The Lisa Libraries Book Donation Program - Deadline: ongoing
Margaret Alexander Edwards Trust Teen Grants - Deadline: ongoing
For more grant opportunities, check out LibraryWorks or the Library Grants Blog.
In the News
Check out recent media posts on libraries and librarians.
Baker & Taylor adds site scoping functionality to Axis 360 Digital Service
Small libraries try to fill tech gap
Amazon wants you to pay $120 for a glorified library card
Librarian of Congress names Billy Joel next recipient of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song
How the public library turned me into a reader
Harrisburg library receives grant
Business Outreach: A few tips and some “how-to”
New ALA report examines licensing model for ebooks in school libraries
ALA brings library lens to network neutrality debate in FCC public comments
Study of Illinois State Library to be distributed to all public libraries
IMLS announces new grant to OCLC to strengthen early learning activities in libraries
Hayner Library awarded grant
In case you missed it...Moving Forward Together – July 15, 2014
E-News from the Illinois State Library
The July 18, 2014, issue of the E-News from the ISL includes:
- Congratulations, Michael McCarthy on being promoted to Library Accounting!
- Jesse White Awards More Than $280,000 in Project Next Generation Grants
- Jesse White Awards More Than $5.7 Million in Adult Literacy Grants
- Library System Proposed Rules and Standards Changes for Your Input
- “On the Front Lines” Scholarship Recipients Announced
- Internet Librarian Conference Discount
- Sandra Fritz Appointed Co-Chair of the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI) Preservation Working Group
- Live & Learn Construction Grant Review Committee Members Needed
- The Small Public Library Management Institute (SPLMI) is Changing Its Name
- Public Library Per Capita and EDGE Assessment Training Sessions Available - New Date and Location Added!
- Free access to library-specific courses through WebJunction
- Take advantage of the following series of free Webinars offered by WebJunction
- Stories from Illinois Libraries
I Love Libraries Newsletter
The July 18, 2014, issue of the ilovelibraries.org newsletter includes:
- Sign the Declaration for the Right to Libraries!
- With New Learning Labs, Teen Programming at Local Libraries Goes Digital
- Digital Library of the Week
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Friday, July 25, 2014
- Joint meeting--SHARE Cataloging and Circulation Committees meeting, IHLS VTEL Locations
- SHARE Chat (Open Forum), Adobe Connect
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
- Connect with Leslie, Adobe Connect
- Medium Pubs Meeting, Barclay PLD
- SHARE Chat (Serials & Cataloging), Adobe Connect
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
- eRead Illinois: Baker & Taylor Axis 360 Administrative Site Training, Fuze
Leslie M. Bednar