Moving Forward Together - August 20, 2014
August 20, 2014
IHLS Board Meeting - August 26
The next IHLS Board meeting is Tuesday, August 26, 2014, at 6:00 p.m. The Board meeting will be available via videoconferencing at the three IHLS locations, as well as the Illinois State Library and the Decatur Public Library. If you are not able to join us at the Helen Matthes Library in Effingham, perhaps one of these other locations will be more convenient. When available, you will find the agenda and board packet here.
Connect with Leslie - August 27
Give us a half hour, and we’ll fill you in on what is happening at IHLS. The next Connect with Leslie meeting is August 27, 2014, at 10:00 a.m. Visit the Connect with Leslie page on the IHLS website to access the link for the meeting.
Register in L2 at: http://www.librarylearning.
IHLS Offices Closed September 1
All IHLS offices will be closed in observance of Labor Day on Monday, September 1, 2014. Delivery and Talking Book Services will not be provided. See our Office Hours page for a listing of IHLS Holidays.
Welcome back school libraries! Delivery would like to take this opportunity to remind all libraries to be sure and contact your Hub Operations Manager and let them know which days you will be closed and DO NOT want delivery.
Champaign and Decatur Hub Delivery/Operations Manager Chris Janvrin (cjanvrin@illinoisheartland.
org | 217-352-0047 ext.718)
- Du Quoin Hub Delivery/Operations Manager Faith Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org | 618-985-3711 ext.603)
- Edwardsville Hub Delivery/Operations Manager Linda Petty (email@example.com | 618-656-3216 ext.412)
On The Front Lines OCLC ILL Follow-up
Those of you who attended the session given by Dawne Tortorella on “OCLC WorldShare ILL Tips and Tricks” might remember that a question was asked about the new ILL charge when using IFM (Interlibrary Loan Fee Management). Here is some additional information.
We want to reiterate that the only time the 25 cent charge is assessed is when IFM is used as the payment method between the Borrower and the Lender. The fee is charged to the Borrowing library when the request is filled and both libraries use IFM. If you never use IFM, then you have no charges.
Illinois Heartland Library System sends out the OCLC invoices for the Illinois State Library on a monthly basis. The invoice shows details about the charges broken down by product code. For IFM transactions you will see on the invoice IFM4549 IFM Transactions, the number of transactions for the month times the cost of 25 cents and then the total charge.
The invoices are sent out monthly by the 10th of each month. If you have questions about an OCLC invoice contact Rhonda Johnisee, IHLS OCLC Billing AP Coordinator (618-656-3216 ext. 418 |rjohnisee@illinoisheartland.
ILL Fee Management (IFM) is an optional service that provides a means to pay and be paid for interlibrary loan requests through your OCLC invoice. By processing billing within WorldShare ILL, use of the IFM service eliminates the time and expense of processing individual invoices for ILL transactions. For a brief overview of IFM, go to: http://www.oclc.org/support/
Member Spotlight: St. Joseph Township - Swearingen Memorial Library
The St. Joseph Township - Swearingen Memorial Library has been busy this summer. They had a successful Summer Author Talk and Summer Reading Program Party.
The library hosted Angie Cox, author of Surviving the Devil, for an author talk. She is a sweet lady and recently was advertised on a screen in Times Square. They are sure she would love to visit other libraries for talks. The book is the author's personal journey overcoming child abuse.
They hosted the mobile Scovill Zoo at their Summer Reading Party and had over 115 children come through and visit the animals over a 2 hour period. They also announced the Grand Prize winner of the $50 Toys R Us gift card donated by Iota Sigma Chapter, Psi Iota Xi.
“Thank You” to Susan McKinney for sharing two successful events at her library this summer.
If your library has an invitation, news item, or successful program you would like to include in an upcoming newsletter, please contact Julia Pernicka, Communications Assistant (jpernicka@illinoisheartland.
Upcoming Free Webinars
- Introduction to Dublin Core Metadata - August 27, 2014
- Illinois History-Digital Imaging Grant Offering Webinar (ISL) - September 3, 2014
- Wayfinding the San Jose Way (DEMCO) - September 10, 2014
- Taming Tech Tools for Libraries (WJ) - September 18, 2014
More webinars can be found at:
New Round of Read for Information Grant Applications
This grant was created to show the importance of "literary nonfiction" in the new Common Core Standards that will be in effect in the next few years. As priorities change in building our collections, this means we'll need to buy more informational texts. All applications are due by September 15, 2014. To learn more about the grant application, please visit the LBSS website at: http://www.lbssfund.org/
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
- Best Small Library in America Award - Deadline: September 10, 2014
- I Love My Librarian Award - Deadline: September 12, 2014
- Read For Information Grant (ISLMA/LBSS) - Deadline: September 15, 2014
- Teens Teach Tech Grant (volunTEENnation.org) - Deadline: September 15, 2014
- Louise Seaman Bechtel Fellowship (ALSC) - Deadline: October 1, 2014
- Illinois History - Digital Imaging Grant Program - Deadline: October 1, 2014
- Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Grant - Deadline: October 15, 2014
- National Medal for Museum and Library Service - Deadline: October 15, 2014
- Margaret Edwards Teen Collection Development - Deadline: December 1, 2014
- The Lisa Libraries Book Donation Program - Deadline: ongoing
- Margaret Alexander Edwards Trust Teen Grants - Deadline: ongoing
In the News
Check out recent media posts on libraries and librarians.
- Ill. Secretary of State offers free currency reader to visually impaired
- Creative Marketing Videos #1
- Call for events: Organizations invited to post events for Banned Books Week, Sept. 21-27
- United for Libraries hosting new electronic discussion group for state friends of the library groups
- 3M Library Systems receives payment application data security standard validation
- More than 1,500 take part in reading program
- Add ALCTS Continuing Education to your fall schedule
- Teens can vote now for the 2014 Teens’ Top Ten
- What is the Cataloging Maintenance Center?
- Library ribbon cutting on Aug. 23
In case you missed it...Moving Forward Together - August 7, 2014
E-News from the Illinois State Library
The August 15, 2014, 2014, issue of the E-News from the ISL includes:
- Godspeed Pat!
- Jesse White Urges Talking Book and Braille Patrons to Participate in New U.S. Currency Reader Program
- Skillsoft Courses Available Statewide to Illinois Library Staff
- 2015 Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Grant
- Attention All Grant Applicants!
- Illinois State Library Advisory Committee meeting and the System Standards
- ILL Fee Management (IFM)
- Delivery Advisory Committee’s Final REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Illinois History - Digital Imaging Grant Offering - Applications Due October 1, 2014
- Save the Date! Upcoming Webinar about the ISL “Illinois History Digital Imaging” Grant Offering - Scheduled September 3, 2014
- Digital Imaging Grant Reviewers Needed - Apply by September 1, 2014
- Library System Proposed Rules and Standards
- Internet Librarian Conference Discount
- Live & Learn Construction Grant Review Committee Members Needed
- Live and Learn Construction Grant Program Applications Now Available Online
- Free Webinars offered by WebJunction
- State Library Staff News
The August 19, 2014, issue of the ILA E-Newsletter includes:
- Early Bird Registration Deadline August 25
- 2015 Election
- Job Opportunities
- In the News
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Thursday, August 21, 2014
- Public Library Per Capita and EDGE Assessment Training, VTEL
- eRead Illinois: IHLS Tech Petting Zoo, Oakwood PLD
Friday, August 22, 2014
- SHARE Chat, Adobe Connect
- SHARE Bibliographic and Cataloging Standards Committee, VTEL
- K-6 Library Media Assistants Beginning of Year Meeting, Decatur Schools
Monday, August 25, 2014
- Book Cataloging, Decatur PL
- Searching and Editing in OCLC Connexion, Decatur PL
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
- Polaris Basic Circulation, IHLS Edwardsville
- Polaris Advanced Circulation, IHLS Edwardsville
- SHARE Chat, Adobe Connect
- IHLS Board Meeting
Thursday, August 28, 2014
- SHARE Reports (includes SimplyReports), Decatur PL
- Polaris Basic Circulation, Decatur PL
- eRead Illinois: IHLS Tech Petting Zoo, Forsyth PL
- MEPL - Metro-East Public Library Management Meeting,Lebanon Visitors Center
- eRead Illinois: Baker & Taylor Axis 360, Fuze
- SHARE Series for Polaris, Decatur PL
- Polaris Advanced Circulation, Decatur PL
Friday, August 29, 2014
- Polaris Basic Circulation, Benton PLD
- LibraryOnTheGo: Consortium Meeting, Adobe Connect
- Connect with Leslie
- SHARE Chat, Adobe Connect
- eRead Axis 360 Scoping Overview, Fuze
- Librarians and their Library Media Assistants Beginning of Year, Decatur Schools
- Polaris Advanced Circulation, Benton PLD
- SHARE Chat, Adobe Connect
- Robin Williams (1951-2014)
Leslie M. Bednar