April 14, 2017
IHLS Board Elections – Voting Ends Tomorrow
Saturday is the deadline for voting for the 5 open seats on the IHLS Board of Directors. The Board sets the direction and priorities of this organization on behalf of IHLS member libraries.
If you are the one person voting on behalf of your member library (and all of its branches or locations), follow this link, to cast your member library's vote: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IHLS17Board
VOTING DEADLINE: 11:59 p.m. Saturday, April 15, 2017 – Please take the time to vote!
IHLS Member Day – April 18, 2017
There is still time to register for IHLS Member Day on April 18, 2017, at the Keller Convention Center, Effingham. This day is designed as an opportunity for the diverse membership of the Illinois Heartland Library System to gather together, to network, and to share in a variety of professional development opportunities. Thanks to our sponsors, there is no cost to attend and lunch will be provided! Be sure to register in L2 so we have an accurate headcount for lunch.
IHLS Board Meeting – April 25, 2017
The next IHLS Board meeting is Tuesday, April 25, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. at the IHLS Edwardsville office. The Board meeting will also be available at several videoconferencing (VTEL) sites. When available, you will find the agenda and board packet here.
Members Matter Meeting – Tuesday, May 2, 2017
Please join us for our March Members Matter meeting to be held on Tuesday, May 2nd, at the Olney Public Library! It’s a great opportunity to share what’s going on throughout the state and the system! The meeting will run from 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. If you can’t be in Olney, you can attend by VTEL from the Illinois State Library or from your own computer, via Zoom. Please take a moment and register on L2. The agenda will be posted in L2.
Last Day for School Delivery – May 19, 2017
May 19th will be the last day for school delivery for ALL schools. If you need a different date, whether earlier or later, please contact your hub Operations Manager as soon as possible.
If you have any question on the Polaris side, please contact Traci Edwards (firstname.lastname@example.org | 618-985-3611 ext. 620).
IHLS currently has an opening for a Sorter in our Carbondale office. Find this position as well as job openings with other libraries on the IHLS website on the Library Jobs tab. To add a job posting to the IHLS jobs page for your library, please send to email@example.com.
Special Interest Groups
A listing of Special Interest Groups has been added to the IHLS website. These groups allow IHLS members with similar professional specialties the opportunity to meet, connect, ask questions, and share ideas. If your special interest group is not on the list and you would like to be added, please contact Angela Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org | 217-352-0047 ext. 720).
Vendor Discount Page Updated
Mackin Educational Resources and K-Log have been added to the Vendor Discount page on the IHLS.
Soon to be Famous Illinois Author Project
Congratulations to the 2017 Soon to Be Famous Illinois Author Project winner Daniel Rosenberg, for his book, "The Towers Still Stand." Find more information on the project on the Soon to be Famous website.
College of DuPage Summer & Fall Schedules
College of DuPage summer registration is now in progress. Fall registration begins April 21 for new and returning students.
- Summer classes http://cod.edu/programs/library_technology/pdf/course_plan_summer.pdf
- Fall classes http://cod.edu/programs/library_technology/pdf/course_plan_fall.pdf
For further information, please contact Carol Sturz, Coordinator, Library & Information Technology, College of DuPage, 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137, Ph: 630-942-2597, email: email@example.com
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for. Be sure to check the bottom of the list for 'Ongoing' grants.
- Diversity Research Grant (ALA) – Deadline: April 15, 2017
- Gordon M. Conable Conference Scholarship (FTRF) – Deadline: April 21, 2017
- 2017-2018 Readers’ Choice Grant (ISLMA/LBSS) – Deadline: April 30, 2017
- Baker & Taylor Awards for Friends Groups and Library Foundations – Deadline: May 1, 2017
- YALSA/Dollar General Literacy Foundation Teens’ Top Ten Books Giveaway – Deadline: May 1, 2017
- Digitization for Small Institutions Scholarships for Illinois Archivists (ISL) – Deadline: May 1, 2017
- Sara Jaffarian School Library Program Award for Exemplary Humanities Programming (ALA) – Deadline: May 5, 2017
- Judith Krug Fund Banned Books Week Event Grants (FTRF) – Deadline: May 12, 2017
- Oakley Memorial Scholarship (ALA) – May 15, 2017
- 19 Illinois Library Association Awards (ILA) – May 15, 2017
- Illinois Energy Now – Energy Efficiency Grants – Deadline: May 31, 2017
- 2017 Teen Read Week™ Activity Grant (YALSA) – Deadline: June 1, 2017
- Crayola Creative Leadership Grants 2017 – Deadline: June 23, 2017
In the News
- Librarians Across America Are Using Their Powers For Political Good
- File this under nostalgia: New book pays tribute to the library card catalog
- National Library Week reminding people the impact of public libraries (Champaign PL)
- Benton Library takes time to celebrate
- Take United for Libraries’ survey for a chance to win a set of free bestsellers
- Rochester Public Library forgoes fines for kids
- National Library Week celebrated in Champaign
- A library card is as good as a million-dollar investment (Latzer Library)
- Crab Orchard Public Library to host open house
- New report chronicles library community’s front line battles against fake news, censorship, bigotry
- ALA, ProLiteracy introduce free online course to promote adult literacy services
- How libraries can respond to the repeal of the FCC Privacy Rules
- Ransomware hackers target government offices, libraries
- An IMLS Overview
- Gale and ALA launch new advocacy website
- Lincoln library, museum made separate agency
- Free April webinars for library staff
E-News from the Illinois State Library
The April 10, 2017, issue of the E-News from the ISL includes:
- Library Trustees Web Page Updated
- Literacy Resource List Now Includes Autism Section
- ILA's Doyle receives 2017 John Phillip Immroth Memorial Award
- Illinois Library District Wins National Award
- IMLS National Medal Finalist Include Illinois Nominees
- Project Outcome Program Offered by PLA
Upcoming Events in Library Learning (L2)
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Administrative Site, GoToMeeting
- IHLS Member Day, Effingham
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Scoping Training, GoToTraining
Thursday, April 20, 2017
- Dewey Decimal Classification, IHLS Edwardsville
- Introduction to Authority Records, Forsyth PL
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- SHARE Circulation Forum, Zoom
- IHLS Board Meeting, IHLS Edwardsville & VTEL
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, IHLS Edwardsville
- Barcoding II—Item Records, IHLS Edwardsville
Thursday, April 27, 2017
- Cooperative Collection Development Meeting, Central PLD
- MEPL—Metro-East Public Library Management Meeting, Mascoutah PL
Tuesday, May 2, 2017
- Members Matter, Olney PL + Zoom
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
- IHLS Member Library Directors’ Chat, Adobe Connect
Free Webinars & Workshops
- It’s in the Bag! Kits of All Types and for All Ages! (ICL) – April 17, 2017
- Civility Goes Viral: a New Approach for a New Era (WJ) – April 18, 2017
- Learning from Your Patrons: An Introduction to User Research (CSL) – April 18, 2017
- Re-evaluating Existing Library Spaces and Furnishings on a Budget (Demco) – April 19, 2017
- How to Make Blended Learning Work in Your School (Booklist) – April 20, 2017
- 60 Tools in 60 Minutes (SLJ) – April 20, 2017
- Build Your Political Literacy Skills for Advocacy (WJ) – April 25, 2017
- More than Storytime: Outreach to Childcare Centers and Preschools (SLiS) – April 25, 2017
- Collecting Library User Feedback: Free! high tech and low tech options that will meet your needs (NLC) – April 26, 2017
- Lights, Camera, Advocacy to Action: Digital Storytelling for Libraries (TechSoup) – April 26, 2017
- Using Project Outcome to Measure & Build a Better Summer Library Program (PLA) – April 27, 2017
- Libraries Transforming Communities: Every Democracy’s Dialogue to Change Process (ALA) – May 1, 2017
- Designing Interactive Library Spaces on Limited Budgets (Demco) – May 11, 2017
- L. Ray Patterson Copyright Award (ALA) – May 15, 2017
- Social Media: What’s Next? (ALL) – May 19, 2017
- Mindfulness for Librarians (ALL) – June 16, 2017
If you would like something to appear in the next newsletter, please contact Julia Pernicka, Communications Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org with “Moving Forward” in the Subject Line.