Database Specialist I - OCLC (Dublin, OH)
Discover. Innovate. Collaborate. Inform. A few words we use to describe a career at OCLC.
For more than 40 years, OCLC and its members have been building a library cooperative and managing a computer network that creates economies of scale, enabling more and more libraries to reduce costs and share resources.
Now OCLC is introducing next-generation services using 21st century Web technology that will greatly amplify the power of library cooperation. By connecting more libraries and more records, there will be more network effects and more value for the cooperative. Some services will interconnect in the cloud through machine-to-machine interfaces. Others will reside where they are technically most appropriate, at the local, group or global levels.
This Database Specialist is responsible for performing database activities which promote the quality and growth of WorldCat. Activities will include correcting bibliographic records using a combination of cataloging tools, learning to identify and merge duplicate records, and participating in other database maintenance activities, such as NACO work.
Provides quality control for WorldCat by:
- Identifying and merging duplicate bibliographic records.
- Processing bibliographic change requests and error reports.
- Processing batchload error lists and other corrections as they arise.
- Maintaining excellent turnaround time and exercising excellent judgment in making corrections, utilizing a combination of cataloging tools (LCRIs, AACR2, RDA, Cataloger's Desktop, MARC21, etc.).
- Expected to work with ease with the Books Format and at least one other format, and to learn other formats on the job.
- Detect and report errors in authority records (name, series, subjects)
- MLS degree from an accredited library school, equivalent experience appropriate for position, or a minimum of 3 years of successful experience in the Database Technician position.
- 3-5 years of increasingly responsible library experience or other experience relevant to the position.
- General knowledge of OCLC products and services; and experience in coordinating and directing projects.
- Experience with library automation, including local systems and/or experience with user support.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of cataloging and classification, including practical and theoretical knowledge of AACR2, RDA, LCSH, and multiple MARC formats.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision while also being able to work well in a team setting.
- Organized and highly productive, able to handle multiple assignments at the same time.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a reading knowledge of at least one non-Latin script language.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/r22smtt