Moving Forward #13
Moving Forward – an update from LCLS
September 24, 2010
Southern IL library system merger conversations:
The next Southern Systems Planning Meeting will be held Wednesday, October 13, 2010, at Lewis & Clark Library System. The day has several components, and interested parties are welcome to attend some or all:
- Committee meetings run from 10:30 a.m. to Noon
- Tours of the LCLS building and lunch run from Noon to 1:00 p.m.
- The entire panel meets from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Your attendance at this meeting will be very beneficial to the process. The planning panel truly desires your input and this is a perfect opportunity for LCLS members to speak up! An agenda will be posted to the Cooperation Today web site soon. Please register for the meeting, and as always, we welcome your comments on Cooperation Today.
October open forum meetings:
Have questions about the southern systems merger process or want to get involved? Then join your LCLS colleagues at one of the October open member forums to get a merger update and voice your concerns! This month the forums will be held on October 5th at these locations and times:
- Litchfield Public Library District –October 5, 2010, 10:30 a.m. to Noon. Please register if you plan to attend.
- Fairview Heights Public Library — October 5, 2010, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Please register if you plan to attend.
LibraryLearning (L2) update:
The L2 server was successfully migrated from the North Suburban Library System offices to the Metropolitan Library System offices last week. However, some data (apparently) did not make the move! The data will eventually be restored, and in the meantime if a class you registered for (or are interested in attending) does not appear in LibraryLearning, please confirm the class with an LCLS staff member.
Thanks for your continued patience while this useful resource is updated!
MacArthur and IMLS Grant Opportunity:
Supporting the federal “Educate to Innovate” initiative, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) recently announced plans to create 30 new youth learning labs in libraries and museums across the country. Inspired by an innovative new teen space at the Chicago Public Library called YOUmedia and innovations in science and technology centers, these labs will help young people become makers and creators of content, rather than just consumers of it. These labs will be based on new research about how young people learn today. For more information, please see the LearningLabs web site.
WebJunction Upcoming Event
The upcoming WebJunction Webinar Easy to be Free: Creating A Smart Wireless Network for your Library is scheduled for Thursday 10/7/2010 beginning at 2:00 PM Eastern Time.
Wireless networks add big value to your library with a small investment in time and staff. Join presenters Louise Alcorn, Reference Technology Librarian, author and webmistress at the West Des Moines Public Library, and Maurice Coleman, Technical Trainer at Harford County Public Library, for this one hour webinar which will serve as a basic primer on wireless networks, including how to create, manage and service a network for your library and provide you with expert advice on creating and managing a wireless network.
Please click on the following link in order to sign-up for the event:
Easy to be Free: Creating A Smart Wireless Network for your Library
Upcoming continuing education opportunities at LCLS:
· Wednesday, September 29, 2010 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Barcoding in Millennium. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here .
· Thursday, September 30, 2010 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Circulation III – Notices & Holds Management and Web Resources. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
· Monday, October 4, 2010 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Cataloging in Millennium. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
· Tuesday, October 5, 2010 (9:00 AM – 12:00 PM), GateNet Circulation I – The Circulation Desk and Patron Records. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
· Tuesday, October 5, 2010 (1:00 PM – 4:00 PM), GateNet Circulation II – the Search Holds Mode and Paging List. Please register in LibraryLearning (L2) here.
Moving Forward will not be published next Friday, October 1st. Enjoy your weekend and look for another update Friday, October 8th!
Leslie M. Bednar
Acting Executive Director