Moving Forward #10
Moving Forward – an update from LCLS
September 3, 2010
Southern IL library system merger conversations:
With meetings planned through the end of the calendar year, it seems like the merger process is starting to pick up speed. The four subcommittees (Delivery, Governance/Legal, Resource Sharing, and Strategic Planning) have been meeting and gathering data for analysis. Here are meetings you may wish to attend:
- Southern Systems Merger Update at Lewis & Clark Library System, Tuesday, September 7, 2010 (4:00 PM – 5:30 PM). Please register for the meeting here. The meeting is open to the public and is designed to give members updated information regarding the merger process. Planning panel and LCLS board members will be present to gather you feedback and address your concerns.
- Southern Systems Planning Meeting at Shawnee Library System, Tuesday, September 14, 2010 (1:00 PM – 4:00 PM). You may register for the meeting here. If you would like to join your colleagues and travel together from the System office, please contact Julia Pernicka (email@example.com) or Leslie Bednar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Southern Systems Planning Meeting at Lewis & Clark Library System, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 (1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Please register here if you plan to attend.
Be sure to check the Cooperation Today web site for updated information including documents and to comment on any aspect of the process. We encourage member participation at meetings and welcome your comments on Cooperation Today.
WebJunction Wants To Support Your Library:
WebJunction is planning to develop a collection of library technology training resources and assets. These materials will be free to download and reuse, which will help reduce a library’s burden of developing and finding training materials. Help give direction and priority to what type of materials compose the collection. Library staff is urged to complete a very short survey of your patron training needs by September 15. To begin the survey, use this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VXJQY25.
The 2010-2011 Public Library Funding & Technology Access Study survey (PLFTAS) launches next Tuesday, September 7th. Log on to www.plinternetsurvey.org.
Interesting (and free!) Workshops in Decatur:
Spruced Up With Spare Change. Wednesday, September 15, 2010 (9:30 AM – 12:00 PM). Not all library renovations have to be big ticket items. Little things can make a big difference. Get ideas about things you can do to change the look of your library without breaking the bank. Designer Tracy Utzmyers will show you simple ideas that you can take back to your library and use.
Buildings and Birthdays with Fred Schlipf. Wednesday, September 15, 2010 (1:00 PM – 3:00 PM). As a library Director or Board member, do you know when or how to plan a remodel or addition, or when to just start over with a new library building? Do you need to make better use of the space inside your library? If you are not sure where to start in answering these questions join us at Rolling Prairie Library System, Wednesday, September 15th for “Buildings and Birthdays with Fred Schlipf.
WebJunction Webinar for Library Staff:
mySkills, myFuture: A New Tool for Job Seekers. Hosted by IMLS, the webinar introduces a free online tool will enable job seekers to increase their career mobility and economic prospects.
Upcoming continuing education opportunities at LCLS:
- Wednesday, September 8, 2010 (9:00 AM – 11:00 PM), 2011 Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Grant Application. Click here to register in LibraryLearning (L2).
- Wednesday, September 8, 2010 (1:00 PM – 3:00 PM), SWAYS meeting (held jointly with SLING). Click here to register in LibraryLearning (L2).
- Wednesday, September 8, 2010 (1:00 PM – 3:00 PM), SLING meeting (held jointly with SWAYS). Click here to register in LibraryLearning (L2).
Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Leslie M. Bednar
Acting Executive Director