Library Clerk–Belleville Public Library
CITY OF BELLEVILLE, ILLINOIS JD#636
POSITION TITLE: Library Clerk-Reference Department
(Part-Time, Level 2 Position)
DEPARTMENT: Belleville Public Library
SUPERVISOR: Reference Supervisor
Perform a variety of duties to assist library patrons locate library materials, information and services. Perform a variety of duties that support library operations, procedures and policies.
No supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist patrons in locating materials and information in the library, by phone, mail and email.
- Instruct and help patrons in the use of the library and library computers and equipment.
- Serve as a reader’s advisor.
- Assist in all programming, displays and brochures.
- Follow and enforce library procedures, policies and laws.
- Handle money generated from fees, fines and other miscellaneous charges.
- Charge and discharge library materials and other operations duties as assigned.
- Reserve materials for patrons and notify them when materials become available.
- Process library applications and produce library cards.
- Attend classes and workshops as required.
- Cross-train to assist in other departments at Main and West Branch facilities.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that promotes good working relationship with customers, co-workers and supervisors.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
Knowledge of the principles and techniques of library science, including reference interviews. Strong computer software skills. Knowledge of Millennium software a plus. Must be able to read, alphabetize and file materials according to standard conventions. Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Must be able to handle cash and a cash register accurately. Must be flexible to work days, evenings and Saturdays as well as extra hours as needed. Must be able to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with supervisors, associates and the general public.
Education, Certification and Experience Required
Requires high school diploma or equivalent with college preferred. Requires previous computer and database experience. Previous reference services library experience and on-line library catalog experience preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
This job description is not intended to imply that the duties identified above are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees may be required to perform other job duties as requested, subject to applicable state and federal laws. This job description or certain job functions described herein may be subject to modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.