BYLAWS OF THE
SCHOOL LIBRARY INFORMATION NETWORK GROUP
LEWIS & CLARK LIBRARY SYSTEM
Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be SLING (School Library Information Network Group.)
Article II. Purpose
The purpose of SLING is to provide an opportunity for school librarians to communicate with each other; to discuss problems that may exist; to share ideas with each other; to seek advice at the System level; and to make recommendations to the LAC.
Article III. Membership
Membership is open to library staff of libraries of the Lewis & Clark Library System and System headquarters staff.
Article IV. Officers and LAC Representative
- Officers shall consist of a chairperson and a secretary. They shall be elected by a majority of those members present and voting. Elections to one-year terms shall be held annually at the March meeting.
- Duties of Officers shall be as follows:
- The chairperson shall schedule the activities for the meetings and make the arrangements for the time and the place of the meeting. The chairperson shall also schedule the meeting with the appropriate Lewis & Clark Library System Consultant. The chairperson should work cooperatively with the System staff to publicize the meeting through fliers distributed to the membership, through an announcement in the Expedition EXTRA, and through any other appropriate format.
- The secretary shall keep brief minutes of meetings to record the group’s activities and provide a file copy to the consultant. In the absence of the chairperson, the secretary shall assume the duties of the chairperson and appoint an acting secretary.
- The Librarians Advisory Council (LAC) representative from SLING shall be elected triennially for three years with the first term beginning July 1, 1997. The representative shall be elected at the March meeting by those members attending. The SLING representative to LAC may serve two consecutive terms, but no representative may serve more than six years without a two-year absence from the LAC. Vacancies to LAC shall be filled by election at the next SLING meeting; if the representative resigns from LAC at a SLING meeting, the election shall be at that meeting.
Article V. Meetings
Meetings shall be held four (4) times a year.
Article VI. Operational Procedures
- Each LIBRARY with staff members attending shall have ONE vote on all matters.
- Candidates for offices shall be chosen by a nominating committee consisting of the previous year’s officers or their appointees at the January meeting. Nominees must be queried for acceptance before the election. Nominations from the floor shall be accepted up to the point of election. The membership shall be notified of the slate of candidates in a timely fashion before the election meeting.
- Motions shall be appointed by a majority of those present and voting.
- The chairperson shall appoint Task Forces, or other groups, on a standing, or ad hoc basis for specific working assignments.
Article VII. Parliamentary Authority
Matters not dealt with in these Bylaws shall be governed by the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order.
Article VIII. Bylaw Changes
- Bylaws shall be adopted and amended by a 2/3 roll call vote of SLING libraries represented at a regular meeting. Each SLING library shall have one vote. Bylaws and any amendments shall be circulated so as to reach members prior to the meeting.
- Any proposed dissolution or reorganization of SLING shall be submitted to a written vote of SLING libraries represented at a regular meeting. Notification of such proposed dissolution or reorganization shall be circulated so as to reach members prior to the meeting. Each SLING library shall have one vote. A 2/3 majority of the votes received is required for approval.